Civil Union Licenses

Beginning Wednesday, June 1, 2011, the Rock Island County Clerk's Office will begin issuing Civil Union licenses. See a list of Civil Union Officiants (PDF). As of March 1, 2011, limited information is available to us, however, we have provided many commonly asked questions, with answers regarding civil unions on this page.

Note: If you obtain your civil union license in Rock Island County, the civil union must be performed in Rock Island County.


The fee for the civil union license is $35, cash only. Personal checks will not be accepted.

Couples applying for a civil union license must be at least 18 years of age.

Information Required by Both Parties

  • Both parties must be present when applying for a civil union license and must provide a valid Drivers License or State I.D.
  • Your dates of birth, state of birth, social security numbers and occupations.
  • Your parents full names (including mother's full maiden name) addresses of both parents if living, and the states in which the parents were born.
  • Your highest grade of education completed and your race origin (for statistical purposes)
  • If either party has been previously married or in a civil union, that party will need to know the exact month, day, and year along with the county and state of the dissolution or death of the previous marriage or civil union.

If either party does not speak or understand English, a separate interpreter must accompany them. The interpreter must be 16 years or older and must have a valid ID.

There is an overnight waiting period in the State of Illinois. You must obtain your civil union license no later than one day before the civil union is performed. The license itself is good for sixty days. To waive the one-day waiting period you must have a court order.

The County Clerk's Office is open from 8 am to 4:30 pm on Monday through Friday. If you have any further questions, you may call the County Clerk's Office at 309-558-3569.

Note: More than one officiant can perform the civil union and officiants do not have to reside in Illinois.

The person performing the civil union must complete the civil union certificate form and forward it to the Rock Island County Clerk's Office (1504 Third Avenue, Rock Island, Illinois 61201) within 10 days after the civil union is performed. A new civil union couple is required to file the civil union certificate if the officiant has not assumed the responsibility.

View All

Questions and Answers above - Courtesy of Equality Illinois

There are still many questions that need answers. As additional information becomes available, we will update our website. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 309-558-3560.