Flood Information

Area streams and creeks, the Rock River, and the Mississippi River may place Rock Island County residents in a Special Flood Hazard Area. We want you to be aware of the hazard and what can be done to reduce flood damage. This information is sent annually to all properties located in the Special Flood Hazard Area as delineated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. It is part of the County's effort to save residents money by reducing flood insurance premiums.

Browse our website to find a wealth of information about the County's Flood Insurance Rate Map, flood depths at your property, natural conservation areas and wetlands, flood insurance, special rules for building in the floodplain, and ideas for protecting your property from flood damage. Or you can call the Building Department with all of your floodplain questions. Feel free to stop in or contact us in person so that we can ensure that all questions have been answered and to supply additional information on related topics. We also have copies of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Elevation Certificates on all buildings constructed or substantially improved in the floodplain since January 1995.

Would you like $30,000 to help you elevate or move your home? See the Increased Cost of Compliance Coverage (ICC) Program section on the Flood Insurance page for more information.

For more information on flood hazards, construction rules or flood protection measures, please contact us before you begin any project. Floodplain Development Permits (PDF) are required for all types of development. Development is any man-made change to real estate including but not limited to:

  • Demolition, construction, reconstruction, repair, placement of a building, or any structural alteration to a building
  • Substantial improvement of an existing building
  • Installation of a manufactured home on a site, preparing a site for a manufactured home, or installing a travel trailer on a site for more than one hundred eighty days per year
  • Installation of utilities, construction of roads, bridges, culverts or similar projects
  • Construction or erection of levees, dams walls or fences
  • Drilling, mining, filling, dredging, grading, excavating, paving, or other alterations of the ground surface
  • Storage of materials including the placement of gas and liquid storage tanks, and channel modifications or any other activity that might change the direction, height, or velocity of flood or surface waters

Development does not include routine maintenance of existing buildings and facilities, resurfacing roads, or gardening, plowing, and similar practices that do not involve filing, grading, or construction of levees, however, building permits are still required for all construction activities. When a property is in the floodplain, building permits may be required for all improvements to a property.

View All

Please remember that all of the Questions and Answers only apply to properties in Unincorporated Rock Island County. If you live in a city or village, please check with their Floodplain Manager for rules and regulations.