Birth Records

The Rock Island County Clerk has birth records from 1877 to the present.

It is the responsibility of the County Clerk's office of each county to safely store and maintain the integrity of all vital records.

Records for births that occurred within Rock Island County may be obtained from the County Clerk's Office.

Note: Birth Records are not public records and only the following are entitled to receive certified copies.

To obtain a Certified Copy of a Birth Record, you must be:

  • Of legal age (18 or an emancipated minor) if requesting your own birth certificate.
  • The mother of the child whose birth certificate is being requested.
  • The father of the child (if listed on the birth certificate). A father who is not listed on the birth certificate does not have legal access to a copy of that certificate.
  • A legal Guardian with documentation to show this (Court Order).
  • In possession of a written, notarized consent from the above individuals.
  • The sibling of the child on the birth certificate and at least 18 years of age.
  • The grandparent if the child on the birth certificate is over 18 years of age.

To purchase a Certified Copy of a Birth Record you will need the following:

  • The full name at the time of birth.
  • The mother's full name, including the maiden name.
  • The father's full name.
  • The Month, Day and Year of the Birth.
  • The City where the Birth took place.
  • Provide a valid photo ID such as a Driver's License or State ID.
  • The fee is $15 for first Certified Copy and $8 for each additional copy of same record purchased at the same time.

Download the Application for Certified Copy of Birth Record (PDF).

Eligibility to Obtain an Illinois Birth Record of a Deceased Individual

Before a request for a copy of a birth certificate of a deceased individual can be considered, you must complete the Deceased Individual form (PDF) in its entirety, including your relationship to the decedent, your intended use of the record and provide proof of the death (a copy of the death certificate). 410 ILCS 535/25.1 states that the copy you'll receive will prominently display the word "Deceased."

Attention: Personal Checks Will Not Be Accepted!

In Person

You will need:

  • The above information
  • The appropriate form, filled out.
  • A valid photo ID such as Driver's License or State ID.
  • Cash needed to purchase certificate(s).
  • Credit or Debit Cards - an additional processing fee of $2.50 per order will be charged by the VitalChek Company for providing this service.

By Mail

By Mail, Include the following:

  • The above information.
  • The appropriate form - filled out.
  • A Cashier's Check or Money Order for the appropriate amount make out to the County Clerk. If a request is received with a lesser amount than what is required to process the request, the request will not be processed and all items will be returned to the sender.
  • A photocopy of a valid photo ID such as a Driver's License or State ID of the person requesting the certified record(s).
  • The address where the certified record(s) are to be sent.

VitalChek Network

Online Service through VitalChek Network, Inc. is now available to purchase Rock Island County birth certificates. All major credit cards are accepted, (including Master Card®, Visa®, Discover® and American Express®) and with an additional fee of $10 per order. Use the VitalCheck service.

Current or Valid Photo ID

If you do not have a current or valid photo id such as a driver's license or state-issued photo identification (ID), we will need 2 pieces of documentation with your name, one of which must show you current address, to prove your identity. One piece of documentation can be a bill or other mail. The other piece of documentation must be one of the following items:

  • Medical/Car Insurance Card
  • Paycheck stub with imprinted information
  • Car Registration
  • Credit Card Statement
  • Bank Statement
  • Public Assistance Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Active Duty Military ID with issue and expiration date

Matricula Consular card Issued after October 2006 is acceptable on its own. However, if issued prior to October 2006, we need one additional documentation showing current address as noted above. If you do not have any of the items listed above, please submit a copy of a current utility bill (electricity, cellular phone, water, etc.,) showing your name and your current address.

If your driver's license is expired and you have an extension sticker on the back, you must submit a copy of both sides.

If you have an expired driver's license that is no more than six months expired, we need ONE additional documentation showing your name and your current address.

If you are writing from a state or federal agency, you can submit a copy of your photo work badge.

Social Security cards are not acceptable.

Outside the County

If the birth took place outside of Rock Island County and you are seeking a copy of the record, you may be able to obtain it from: