Fourteenth Judicial Circuit
Rock Island, Henry, Mercer, Whiteside Counties
Everyone Should Have Access to the Law!
The Rock Island County law library is open to the public! Located on the third floor, suite 304 of the Rock Island County Courthouse, the Rock Island County Law Library contains a wide variety of bound resources, offers two computer terminals with limited internet access for legal research and a list of useful self-help websites is available by request. Internet capabilities include access to a well-known legal research website known as Westlaw.
Westlaw is a website that can only be accessed by paid subscription. However, access to this valuable research tool is provided by Rock Island County at no cost to the public.
Funding for the the library is maintained through a $20 fee from every new civil case filed with the Circuit Clerk's Office.
In support of its governing statue, 55 ILCS 5/5-39001, the Rock Island County Law Library is dedicated to providing outstanding service, recognizing, supporting and furthering open and equal access to legal and governmental information for all.
Towards the fulfillment of our mission, it is the vision of the Rock Island County Law Library to support equal access to justice through:
- Ensuring equal access to legal and governmental information in the most effective manner.
- Continuing to educate ourselves and others about new technologies and services and supplying those technologies and services deemed appropriate at no or low costs.
- Supporting not only the Judiciary, County Personnel and those in the legal professions, but the public and its diverse membership in their quest for legal governmental information.
- Creating positive contacts and experiences between the public and legal system.
The law librarian will be happy to assist you in locating resources and navigating the computers, however, she is not an attorney and cannot provide legal guidance or advice.
For further information and assistance, please contact:
Sherri Lawton, Law Librarian
The following two websites may provide assistance for persons representing themselves:
- Southern Illinois University School of Law Self Help
- This website walks unrepresented persons through the legal process on a step by step basis. Information and forms are provided on several different subject areas including domestic relations, consumer law, and immigration. Litigants can obtain forms using Adobe Acrobat Reader. The website allows users to download the Adobe program without charge. Alternatively, litigants can order forms as follows:
- Illinois Legal Aid
- This website provides access to online documents, automated forms, a complete library of self help materials and on-site navigator to help guide users to the information they seek.
Sherri LawtonLaw LibrarianPhone: 309-558-3259
Law LibraryPhysical Address
Rock Island County Courthouse
1317 3rd Avenue, Suite 304
Rock Island, IL 61201
Rock Island County Courthouse 1317 3rd Avenue, Suite 304 Rock Island IL 61201
Monday through Friday
8 am to 12:00 pm
12:30 pm to 4:00 pm
Office closes at 4:30 pm