Demolition Permit

When applying for a permit to demolish a structure, please use the permit application available on our downloads page. The following items are addressed as applicable and the required documentation is available when the permit application is submitted:

  • Disconnect Electric and Gas Service. Contact Mid-American Energy at 888-427-5632. Provide our office with documentation these have been disconnected.
  • Abandon and seal well and remove septic tank. Contact the Rock Island County Health Department 309-558-2840. Provide our office with documentation that these issues have been resolved.
  • Disconnect any municipal utilities provided. Provide our office with documentation these have been disconnected.
  • Remove fuel oil tanks. Submit 1 copy of a permit from the Office of State Fire Marshall.
  • All contractors or homeowners demolishing a structure that are regulated under Part 61 Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (NESHAP) shall file appropriate documentation per 55 ILCS 5/5-1063.5. Provide appropriate documentation.
  • A Grading and Drainage Permit is required if land disturbing activities exceed one acre. Appropriate BMPs shall always be implemented.
  • Pay appropriate permit fees.
  • Other relevant permits.
  • Note: All foundations shall be removed. Approved Fill Material is defined as: Uncontaminated, nonwater-soluble, nondecomposable inert solid material. Clean fill includes soil, rock, stone, dredged material, used asphalt and brick, block or concrete masonry units (CMUs) that have been broken so as not to become "critter condos", used concrete that has been broken into pieces smaller than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches with no protruding bar from construction and demolition activities that is separate from other waste and recognizable as such. Unused asphalt would not meet the definition of clean fill.