What About Inaccessible Polling Places?

Any handicapped or elderly voter who cannot enter a polling place due to the structural features of the building, may request to vote outside (near the entrance) of his/her polling place. Such requests must be made with the election authority (County Clerk or Board of Election Commissioners) by the close of business on the day before the election. The election authority will then notify the appropriate election judges of the names of those persons making such a request.

If notification is received by the election judges the voter completes the entire voting process (weather permitting) outside the polling place as follows:

  • Two judges of opposite party affiliation deliver an application to the voter.
  • The completed application is brought back into the polling place to the verification judges.
  • After the signature and address are checked and it is determined that the individual is qualified to vote, the ballot and a portable voting booth or enclosure is provided to allow the voter to mark his ballot in complete secrecy. In no case can a ballot be delivered to a voter beyond 50 feet of the entrance to the building in which the polling place is located
  • After the voter completes voting, the two election judges take the ballot (keeping it inside its envelope) back into the polling place for deposit into the ballot box.

Show All Answers

1. What options do voters with disabilities have?
2. What is Voter Assistance?
3. Who may be Given Assistance?
4. Who Can Actually Give the Assistance?
5. How is the Assistance Given?
6. Is an Affidavit Required?
7. What if a Voter Needs Instruction?
8. What About Inaccessible Polling Places?